Heart Healthy Challenge at LSF
30 minutes to a happier, healthier YOU
We are all guilty of the mindset of “I will ____ when ____”. Let’s face it, life can get the better of everyone at times. Busy days filled with everyday stressors, lack of sleep, and general bad days can take a toll on your overall health. But guess what? All you need is 30 minutes of your day to improve your moods, get better sleep, improve your heart health etc.!
According to the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, your body needs at least 2.5 hours of moderate intensity activity per week. Break that down into 5 days a week, it is only 30 minutes out of your day! There are so many wonderful benefits from incorporating 30 minutes of cardio into your daily routine. Studies show that doing cardiovascular exercises for 30 minutes will aid in weight loss, increase endurance, improve sleeping patterns, boost your moods, and most importantly, reduce your risk of heart disease.
The American Heart Association shares that heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States. However, it is never too late or too early to improve your heart health! Cardiovascular exercise lowers blood pressure and gets your heart pumping, which improves circulation. Cardio will also help aid in weight loss and shedding excess pounds, which reduces strain placed on your heart (2). Besides improving heart health, cardio also has some awesome added benefits! Exercise releases a hormone in your body called endorphins, which make you feel happy. Participating in 30 minutes of cardio will help improve your mood, improve your sleeping patterns, and lower stress levels (2). So, not only will you be looking good, but you’ll be feeling good too! Whether it’s hopping on a treadmill, going for a brisk walk, or taking a sunset bike ride, taking just 30 minutes out of your day can reduce your risk of heart disease and keep your heart healthy and happy.
Ladies Super Fitness is the perfect place to start and/or continue your heart healthy journey! Here are just a few of the amazing ways to get your 30 minutes of daily cardio at LSF:
· Cardio Gym – provides you with cardio and resistance training all in one machine!
· FITT Factor Classes – 30 minutes of a faced paced, full body workouts. These high energy classes keep your heart rate up and are easily modifiable to any fitness level!
· Personal Training – Every member of LSF gets personal training included FREE in their membership! Our trainers are always here to help you with your routine and show you how to use any cardio machine at our facility!
Join us in February as we educate, excite, and empower our ladies!
-Kelsey Prince, LSF Exercise Science Intern, Kent University
(1) www.goredforwomen.org . (2019). American Heart Association Recommendations for Physical Activity in Adults and Kids . [online] Available at: https://www.goredforwomen.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/aha-recs-for-physical-activit… [Accessed 29 Jan. 2019].
(2) Cardiosmart.org. (2019). Exercise and Heart Health . [online] Available at: https://www.cardiosmart.org/Healthy-Living/Move-More/Exercise-and-Heart-Health [Accessed 29 Jan. 2019].