5 Eating Tips When on the Go
Most people will tell you they eat pretty well when they are at home, but lets face it, we are a mobile society. Most of us get up early in the morning and go to sleep late at night. We don’t have time to eat but when we do take the time we choose “feel good” meals full of fat at fast food chains. We can’t control our schedule sometimes but we can be prepared and empowered for the day ahead!
Here are 5 tips on being ready for your day so you can control your healthy lifestyle!
1. Eat out at places with fiber on the menu . You would not believe how many times I go to a restaurant and decide not to eat there because there is no whole grains on the menu. REMEMBER!! Non-fiber carbs are a WASTE of calories and energy. It seriously just goes through you without any other added benefits of staying full or a healthy Gastro Intestinal Tract (Digestive System). Fiber keeps you full longer and gives you more bowel movements!
Panera and Chick-fil-A both have online apps where you can order online and pull in and grab them from the counter without waiting in line. AND they both have fiber on the menu. At Panera, you can substitute any bread for whole grain.
This will stop you from eating the free white bread at restaurants and the fried chips at Mexican Restaurants.
2. Cook in bulk and take with you. Making food in bulk and putting them in to-go containers will empower you. It’s quite simple–whatever you cook at home, double or triple the recipe and put away for later. In the morning when you get up you can just take it with you out the door! AND you’ll save money from eating out.
“But I don’t even cook at home!” Then take a meal replacement with you like an instant shake. This will keep you going!
3. Keep a case of water with you in the car. We always have water with us. This keeps us from going to the Quicky Mart and buying a drink and something else we shouldn’t be eating. Let’s face it! I love to spend money and will buy garbage if given the chance!
Even when we go to a new city and have a rental car, we will stop at a gas station and buy a case of water. And if we still have water left over when we take the car back it’ll be a real blessing for the car rental people. They actually thank us! That’s a Win-Win!
4. Take food with you on the plane. “But you can’t do that,” you might say… BUT YOU’D BE WRONG! They only care that you don’t have gels or liquids over 3 ounces. No one said anything about food! We actually will pack a full carry-on suitcase full of bananas, clementines, strawberries, whole grain wraps filled with something (be it eggs, peanut butter, or plain), etc. They will take away your peanut butter though!
Dude! You know how much money you save by having this priceless carry on? They start charging for everything on the plane and all the expensive and garbage food while you’re waiting to board!
5. If you’re going to cheat, cheat wisely. I’m not saying you can’t “cheat” once in a while. Just make sure it’s worth your while! If you like chocolate, don’t buy just any chocolate, wait for the best of the best. If you love Cinnabon, have a Cinnabon (only if you’re mostly good at eating). If you want a beer, do it to it. Just don’t make a habit of it and truly starve yourself from all opportunities of cheating or splurging till you are at the right moment which will give you a job well done and a pat on the back. –LSF